Monday 29 April 2013

Pain, Love, and Boston

"He who was seated on the throne said, 'I am making everything new!' Then he said, 'Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.'"
-Revelation 21:5


Tonight my heart and mind are with my friends and colleagues in Boston. These last couple of weeks have truly been impressive for Boston: the bombing, the shootout (s?), the manhunt, and now this, the healing process.

Martin Luther, reportedly, said that if he knew the world would end the next day, he'd plant a tree. He'd plant a tree. This life is so transitory and so temporary and so hard, it is important to live life as fully as possible. Your next breath is not guarantee, let alone tomorrow.

This last week, a friend of mine messaged me, asking for prayer for her friend and her friend's family: her friend had just lost a baby before it could even be born. My friend called me later, just this past Saturday, to process her reaction to the baby's funeral. She remarked how nothing in life prepares you for a baby's funeral. Nothing in life prepares you for a baby's funeral.

Life, it seems, is in the business of blindsiding us. So many things happen that are unexplained. My 16 year old brother has a few serious heart conditions that are putting his promising athletic career on hold and could have killed him at any point during his athletic career. They didn't, but it's still scary.

Baby's funerals and brother's heart conditions, drone strikes in Pakistan and bombings in Boston. The world is a mess. The world is scary. All I have to offer the world is Jesus. Nothing more, nothing less. My friend came to the same conclusion when thinking of her friend who has just lost a baby.

Any attempt I make at concluding this post will be lacking, will be quite lacking. God is in the business of redemption, but when I hear stories of extreme personal lost, like a baby dying, and stories of extreme community loss, like the bombing of a marathon, I wonder where His redemption is.

Still, I believe: Come, Lord Jesus, come. We are hearing, waiting O Lord, in the near dawn of Your second coming. Come, Lord Jesus, come. And quickly!
 

2 comments:

  1. Amen. A co-worker shared with me last week that she is mad at God because of all the loss she has had to experience (her husband and two brothers all died young). I don't have answers for her (at least, not satisfying ones), but I keep praying Jesus shows her who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also praying, Aimee. Come, Lord Jesus, come.

    ReplyDelete